Healthy Schools London support
Healthy Schools London is an awards programme which recognises schools achievement in supporting pupil health and wellbeing. To gain a bronze award the whole school must be committed to improving pupil’s health including Healthy Eating, Physical Activity, Emotional Wellbeing, Environment and PSHEE (personal, social, health, economic, education).
To gain silver and gold the school must have identified specific health problems in their school and shown how they have addressed these. Schools who participate in health based programmes can improve attainment, increase attendance and improve pupil confidence & concentration as well as improving health and wellbeing. Health Education Partnership has been commissioned by Barnet Public Health toprovide free support to schools to assist them in achieving the Healthy Schools London(HSL) Awards.
For more information or to book a meeting with Health Education Partnership contact:
Alive N Kicking
This is a free family-based intervention for children aged 4 - 12 years who have been measured as overweight or obese during the National Child Measurement Programme. This programme has been commissioned by Barnet Public Health. The child, parents/guardians, and possibly siblings attend group sessions for 12 weeks (1x75min p/wk). Each session consist of an interactive nutrition and physical activity workshop, with an emphasis on encouraging the children to participate in fun games and activities as well as raise awareness of healthy lifestyle choices. To refer contact: email@example.com, 0208 102 0530 or visit website www.ank.uk.com.
Healthy Weight Nurses
For children who may be very obese or have more complex needs, where families may benefit more from 1-to-1 support, there is a small team of school nurses working as a Healthy Weight Nurse Team. They will cover the same topics, in a flexible manner according to individual family needs. To refer contact:: CLCHT.AdminHWNSTeam@nhs.net or call 0208 205 6204.
The School Time Obesity Prevention (STOP) Programme
A free 6 or 12 week school-based intervention programme. It aims to raise awareness of healthy eating and physical activity. It allows children aged seven to ten years old to explore how they can positively impact their lives through food and activity choices. Each week a STOP practitioner delivers a session to a classroom of children and alternates teaching between nutritional workshops and physical activity sessions.
- Change for Life Lunchtime or Afterschool Clubs. These clubs strive to create an exciting and inspirational environment for children to participate in physical activity at school. They provide fun activities for less active children to engage with. They require 1 staff member. Contact Vanessa Pender; School Games Organiser on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Engagement in Barnet Partnership for Schools Sports. Offers a range of activities to encourage pupils to engage in physical activity and sports across the borough. Please visit http://www.barnetpartnershipforschoolsport.co.uk/
- Participating in Food Growing Schools London, this brings together the very best of London’s food growing expertise, information and support, with the ambition to inspire and equip every school in London to grow their own food. This programme can help to contribute to Healthy School London award. http://www.foodgrowingschools.org/
- Local Parks. Use of local parks and open spaces for activities. Use of marked and measured routes within parks. There are 9 parks with marked and measured routes in Barnet which can be found and downloaded from this site;
- Physical Activity Lunchtime or After School Clubs. (dance, football, ballet, gymnastics)
- Free Brief Intervention Training on Raising the Issue of Child Weight. For all staff who work with children and young people who wish to help families to recognise the need for weight management support, by raising the issue of weight and signposting families to local services. For more information contact: email@example.com, 0208 102 0530 or visit www.ank.uk.com.
- Promotion of the Change4life website – provides healthy food and activity tips for children and their families. Visit http://www.nhs.uk/change4life/Pages/change-forlife.aspx
- Soreen Squidgy Fun. Activity cards that can be downloaded by families http://soreensquidgyfun.com/
- Becoming a water and milk only school.
- Crisps only on a Friday AND restricting chocolate or sugary sweets being brought in as part of birthday bags.
More Useful Links
- Barnet Catering Service – https://services-for-schools.barnet.gov.uk/schools-home/2014-2015/traded-services/catering-and-quality-service/whats-provided.html
- Barnet School Travel Plan team - https://www.barnet.gov.uk/citizen-home/schools-and-education/school-transport.html