Supporting Health and Wellbeing
Healthy Schools London support
Healthy Schools London is an awards programme which recognises schools achievement in supporting pupil health and wellbeing. To gain a bronze award the whole school must be committed to improving pupil’s health including Healthy Eating, Physical Activity, Emotional Wellbeing, Environment and PSHEE (personal, social, health, economic, education).
To gain silver and gold the school must have identified specific health problems in their school and shown how they have addressed these. Schools who participate in health based programmes can improve attainment, increase attendance and improve pupil confidence & concentration as well as improving health and wellbeing. Health Education Partnership has been commissioned by Barnet Public Health toprovide free support to schools to assist them in achieving the Healthy Schools London(HSL) Awards.
For more information or to book a meeting with Health Education Partnership contact:
XPLORE is a FREE 8-week healthy lifestyle programme for 4-13 year olds, delivered in Better leisure centres across Barnet. The programme, for children and their families, assists children who might be over the healthy weight range to make lifestyle and dietary changes, helping to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Each 8-week programme consists of interactive nutrition workshops and fun physical activity sessions. Sessions run afterschool from 4.00-6.00pm.
GPs, health professionals and self-referrals are all welcome to refer into the programme. For more details on our all programmes, please visit the FAB Hub or contact us at email@example.com or via telephone 0208 457 9907 for the Xplore programme
Healthy Weight Nurses
For children who may be very obese or have more complex needs, where families may benefit more from 1-to-1 support, there is a small team of practitioners working as in the Healthy Weight Nurse Team. They will cover the same topics, in a flexible manner according to individual family needs. To refer contact:
- Duty Number Barnet: 0800 772 3110
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Engagement in Barnet Partnership for Schools Sports. Offers a range of activities to encourage pupils to engage in physical activity and sports across the borough.
- Participating in Food Growing Schools London, this brings together the very best of London’s food growing expertise, information and support, with the ambition to inspire and equip every school in London to grow their own food. This programme can help to contribute to Healthy School London award.
- Becoming a water and milk only school.
- SUGAR SMART is a campaign run by Sustain. They help local authorities, organisations, workplaces and individuals to reduce the amount of sugar we all consume. Anyone can pledge to become SUGAR SMART-from councils and schools to restaurants, hospitals and independent companies.
- Trees for Schools- Support for London primary schools is available, a programme funded by Defra and delivered in partnership with the Woodland Trust. Hundreds of London schools have already ordered their free tree packs and created mini-woodlands or hedgerows, and it’s really easy for your school to join them! They offer information and advice to all London based schools. Email Schools Engagement Officer, Sarah Bush at email@example.com or call 0203 146 0266 for more info you can visit:
More Useful Links
- Barnet School Travel Plan team
- Magic Breakfast is delighted to announce a new partnership with Family Action which will see the two charities working together to deliver the Department for Education's new National School Breakfast Programme. If your school is in a disadvantaged area, and you would like to explore the possibility of support to start or expand a breakfast provision, please register your interest by downloading and filling in the NSBP Expression of Interest form and emailing it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Food for Life Schools Award-A Food for Life Schools Award is a great way to demonstrate that your school is doing fantastic work to provide healthy school meals, great lunchtimes and food education that has a positive impact on both pupils and the wider community. Our great value awards packages are designed to support you through any changes you may need to achieve this. They are based on a flexible framework so every school can approach their award in the way that works best for them.
Relationships and Sexual Health Education
Brook are free and confidential sexual health and wellbeing experts. Brook offers sexual health and wellbeing services across Barnet to young people and professionals.
We offer the following services:
- Relationships and sex education in schools and community settings
- One-to-one early intervention programmes with young people
- Health promotion stalls and events
- Peer education programmes
- Trainings for professionals
- Condom Distribution Scheme – become an outlet/ C card training for professionals
- C card drop Ins
Please contact email@example.com to make an enquiry.
For young people: we have information on sexual health and relationships on the Brook website